Thursday, October 20, 2005

My espanol is good enough! (adecuado)

Living with teenagers, every once in awhile the question of when something is going to be relevant in "real life" comes up. As I am (almost) always honest with them I tell them that it's likely that much of what is learned won't really matter but that they need to learn it just the same. (hey, I did!) The BIG exception and what has probably served me best is what I learned in the Spanish classrooms. A big gracias to the senors, senoras and senoritas who taught me in grades 6-12! I cannot count the number of times my Spanish has come in handy and the smiles I have been graced with when the recipient of my botched attempts to communicate realizes that I am making an effort. Most recently I was able to let my gardeners know that the dog was in the backyard and to let me know when I needed to unlock the gate so that they could get to the yard. I wanted to protect my "perro" and luckily I was able convey just that. Bueno for me!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this entry. If I could write in espanol to reply I would.
Great article. It was FUN to read. Keep it up.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home